Friday 5 April 2013

Interview with: Hayley Wright, fashion Illustrator.


Fashion Illustration by Hayley Wright
Hayley Wright currently resides in Canada and she creates breath taking fashion portrait illustrations. Gracious pieces of work, elegant and compassionate women. Ornamental designs and couture that has you gazing at its essence. Using mixed media and though tidy will have escaped Ink dripping through, adding movement and character to these pieces of art. Exploring her Instagram page I love watching the blank piece of paper grow into something that engulfs your sight, by the hand of Hayley.

 I personally admire her work, these are compositions that I would show case on my walls and I would like to present to the rest of you. Having the chance to converse with her was a true delight,  an energetic and compassionate person, that deserves recognition and achievements.

AJ: I love your fashion illustration pieces and your page paper&Ink, When did you start illustrating? and how did you come up with your name paper&ink?
Close up of some work with gems and pearls

HW: I have always been very artistic, especially as a little girl. I have countless paintings of Barney the Dinosaur from when I got my very first watercolour set! After going to a specialized arts high school, I attended the University of British Columbia for Fine Arts. Shortly afterwards in 2011, I took a break from artwork to attend Fashion School in Vancouver to gain my diploma in Fashion Marketing.

While in Fashion School, we had to take a course in Fashion Illustration to learn garment drawing. Of course, this was my favourite class! Before this time, I had no idea that Fashion Illustration even existed. It was such a dream come true to learn that I could combine both of my passions into one beautiful art form.
In that same year, we took classes on branding and marketing and had to do projects based on fake companies.

 I invented my Illustration company and decided to name it Paper&Ink. The name is simply based on the materials that I use but I liked how simple it sounded. It has stuck ever since then!

AJ: So having the chance to go to fashion school, made you explore other areas. I think that is great to find something that you are good at and love, especially when it is something you didn't know existed. How long does it take you to illustrate a piece?

HW: It usually takes me about 4-5 hours, per piece, which is spread over a week or so.

AJ:  And where do you get your ideas from?

HW: Pinterest! I love following and finding boards about fashion editorials, interesting make-up, hairpieces,
Beautiful piece by Hayley Wright
photography, etc. As soon as I find a photograph that I know would make a GREAT drawing, I have to draw it right away!

AJ: I joined Pinterest a while ago, but only have started using it for the past few weeks, I must admit it does have a lot of inspiration, I am still trying to get used to it at the moment, I was using tumblr before but I like the fact that you have boards on Pinterest, it is easier for you to find things.  

As a fashion illustrator I have noticed that you use the same or similar style through out your work, can you tell us what materials you like to use? and has that always been your style or have you had to experiment to get to the preffered design you desire?
Experimentation with paint. 

HW: My style has slowly and subtly changed over time. Finding a style of painting that was truly my own was actually really stressful for me. Artwork from only one year ago is dramatically different from my work now, and will continue to change. I tried imitating styles from fellow Fashion Illustrators that I admire, and ended up combining the qualities that I liked and trying to leave out the ones that I didn't. I am still working on perfecting my style, which I think will be a lifelong journey.

AJ: I must admit I think that many fellow, young artists not just fashion artists find it difficult to find a style that is truly them. I am definitely one of those that feels like I am still exploring, but this is where you inspire us because it just shows that you need to keep working to find your style. 

So far, what has been the most memorable time/achievement for you and your work? 

HW: My artwork will actually be appearing in the April issue of ModCity Magazine, a local Edmonton- based publication. They are a huge supporter of local artists and businesses and I am so grateful to be  a part of their magazine!

AJ: Congratulations! it sounds exciting to be having your work published.


Would you like to carry on with illustrating in the future? if so what are your goals, and how do you plan on getting there? 

HW: Being able to illustrate full-time would be a dream! By working extremely hard every day; networking locally and internationally; continuing to expand my style and better my work; and using social media
to gain followers and exposure, I should be able to accomplish my goals :)


AJ: I wish you the best of luck, I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals and dreams. 
I am going to have to unfortunately finish this interview but before I do I would just like to ask for other fellow aspiring fashion illustrators, whom may be reading this, what advice could you offer them from your path of learning?

HW: I would advise them to find a style that is uniquely your own, which is something I am still working on. You want people to be able to look at a painting and know that it is yours! Oh, and make some really nice business cards!

AJ: It was really nice talking to you and I had also learnt something myself! 

HW: Thank you so much!

If you are curious and would like to view more of Hayley's work, or would even like the chance of buying some of her creations then visit these sights

Website: www.paperinkart.net
Society6: www.society6.com/paper_ink
Instagram: @paperinkart

All photos were taken  and copyrighted by Hayley Wright from her facebook page: Paper & Ink 

No comments:

Post a Comment