Wednesday 20 March 2013

Interview with: Julia Chew - Xiaolin

Being a designer myself, but never really going any farther then putting pen to paper, and letting my imagination go wild but only ever in 2D. I have this love and strong appeal for others who are young designers and compose their designs. It is admirable to see them also trying, or succeeding their objectives. It gives me a sense that as long as you try, you can achieve.

Doing what I do, researching couture or "one-of" designs. I came across this Luxurious feather dress. I adore how it captures the shape of the woman and being indulged by natural and natures form. The shades perceived as black but once light has been captured other colours present themselves. I needed to know the designer. This is how I came across young, 18 year old woman named Julia Chew. She had explored and created a whole catalog for her Fall/Winter 2013 collection. Her work had already been showcased on catwalks, had been published twice for both her fashion and photography work. She was born in Nanning, China but currently is residing in Tampa, Florida.
Xiaolin Fall/Winter 2013
I have managed to interview the kind and inspiring Julia Chew.

AJ: Hello Julia Chew, You design and create fashion garments, you now are the owner and the creative Director of Xiaolin -fashion designer AND Xiaolin photography. When did this all start for you? What made you realize you wanted to have a career in the industry of fashion? 

JC: Yes, I own Xiaolin, the clothing line as well as Xiaolin photography. Fashion design is my main focus and I learn photography to cut down on costs. (I photographed my catalog, etc.)

When did this all start for you?
I had always wanted to be a fashion designer, but nobody in my family is in the industry or has an interest in fashion. However when I was very young I naturally started learning the necessary skills to become a fashion designer. When I was about 2 years old my artistic side began to show. I would enjoy cutting paper with scissors and doing crafts. At age 3 I began to teach myself how to draw and paint. Before first grade I began to sew by hand. I was taught how to quilt by a lady down the street from me and learned most of the basics from her. My maternal grandmother lives in Wisconsin and when I would visit her for the summer she taught me how to use a sewing machine and would help me sew myself dresses.

What made you realize you wanted to have a career in the industry of fashion?
It is rare that I find clothing at the mall that I would want to wear or that would even fit me. The styles I often see are too provocative for my taste as I prefer to wear clothing that is airy and feminine. I want to design clothing for the woman that wants to stand out from the crowd. She will stand out for being unique and beautiful, not dressing for shock value, but because she is confident wearing an outfit nobody else has.


Xiaolin- Fall/Winter 2013
AJ: So the creativity and love for fashion has always been there for you. What has been the biggest challenge you have had to face so far?

JC: So far the biggest challenge for me is the business element. I took a class to help me start my fashion business, but I will need time to develop skills and experience as a business owner. I love to design and create, but without the proper knowledge in marketing and other areas, I will not be able to run a successful business and sell my clothing. 

AJ: I think that is responsible. A lot of people have an idea and just go with it, and that isn't anything bad, but I agree you need to have knowledge in the business if you really want to succeed.
Your work has been published in magazines and online that is such an achievement. What did you do to make that happen? How did you feel when you were first published?
JC: I recently did an interview with the Associated Press as I was the youngest designer for CFW. My couture feather dress received worldwide press after the AP released an image of my dress alongside the article. The first Magazine I was published in was Lost Freedom, Jan. 2013. I was ecstatic, and this week, my older sister surprised me by sending me a glossy print version of the magazine in the mail as a gift. My sister lives in Korea so it was quite unexpected.


Xiaolin- Fall/Winter 2013
AJ: That is really lovely. I bet it is nice and exciting to be getting your work noticed. A lot of designers have favourite styles and materials they like to work with what would you say are your favourites? And what couldn't you live without? 
Xiaolin- Fall/Winter 2013
JC: favorite fabric: I have this love/hate relationship with chiffon. Chiffon flows beautifully down the runway, creates movement, and has such a light airy feel. However, I hate sewing chiffon. It always shreds under my machine and causes me so much frustration. Actually just last night I stayed up past 3 am sewing myself a little chiffon dress and it was terrible. Can't live without it, but it certainly drives me crazy.
favorite material: Regardless of the type of fabric, I insist silk is always the best. I like to use natural materials instead of synthetic. Natural fabrics are gentler on the skin and are often easier to work with.
unusual materials: I'm rather notorious for using unusual materials in my designs. Especially feathers. My family spends quite a lot of time camping and outdoors. When my Dad would go on a hike without me he would bring me back something special such as a pretty seashell or a feather. I started collecting these feathers and I am quite fond of them. Currently I order feathers in bulk to use in my garments that have been sanitized and dyed. 
AJ: I actually adore chiffon dresses! Its exactly what you said elegant. I'm going to ask the last few questions now as we are nearing the end. What or who inspires your work? What do you think is the best advice you could give to fellow aspiring fashion designers? 
JC: My work is inspired by the diversity and natural beauty of nature. I liken chiffon to delicate butterfly wings, and you'll notice petal like detailing in many of my dresses. Dissecting plants and flowers I've gathered has taught me much about structure and design.
My advise to aspiring fashion designers would be: Do not let others define you. Never limit yourself by what other people say and do. Also, nobody got anywhere in this industry without huge amounts of dedicated work. Always give your best regardless of how menial the current task may seem. I believe this is truly the key to success in any field.
Xiaolin- Fall/Winter 2013
AJ: Well they do say you learn more doing first hand research. I think dissecting flowers and plants have definitely has helped you and looking at your pieces I can see the delicate petal details.
Thank you very much for taking the time out to have a talk with me. You have beautiful work and I will be supporting you. I hope you achieve all that you want, both you and your work deserve it.
JC: Thanks AJ!

If you would like to purchase or see more of Julia Chews work go to these sites:
Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/xiaolindesign?ref=pr_shop_more
Xiaolin fashion designer, facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/xiaolindesign?fref=ts
Xiaolin photography facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/xiaolinphotography

Credits to all photos included in this post:


Xiaolin Fall/Winter 2013


Fashion Designer/Photographer/Hair & Makeup Artist: Julia Chew 

Model: Brooke Huseby 

Lighting/Set up: Michael McCoy
Wardrobe Assistant: Cheryl M Chew 
Studio: MP Studios Tampa


No comments:

Post a Comment